Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Quick No Fail Whole Wheat French Bread

This is a great recipe!! I saw it on another blog where they used white flour and I thought it would be good to substitute whole wheat flour. I know carbs are bad, but if I'm gunna eaat carbs it might as well be whole grains right??!!! Ok so here goes the recipe, (I'm sure it's SUPER good with white flour but I'll never know cause I'll always use wheat now)
1 T shortening
1 T salt (this seemed like a lot, but I followed the recipe, and it did seem salty to me, I'll use less next time though)
2 T sugar (if I use less salt then I could probably use less sugar right??!!)
1 C boiling water
1 C cold water
1/3 C lukewarm water
1 T yeast (cut your yeast in half at high altitude)
4 1/2 C-6 C flour (I used wheat flour but I didn't really count, I just added until it was the right consistency
1 egg
Directions:
1. Place the 1 C hot water in the microwave for 3 minutes to get it boiling
2. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, stir it around until it is all mixed
3. Combine salt, shortening and sugar in the bottom of your mixer with a fork.
4. Pour the boiling water over the shortnening mixture-stir until dissolved
5. Pour the cold water over the mixture
6. Pour the warm water and yeast into the mixer
7. Begin to add the flour, one cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the side of your mixer.
8. Let the dough mix(kneed) on high for 8 minutes
9. Let the dough rise in the mixer for about 20 minutes (This step can be skipped if you are in a hurry)
10. Seperate the dough into 3 parts and place on a large jelly roll pan sprayed with cooking spray
11. Spread the dough out into a rectangle
12. Then roll the dough up- roll the long end of the dough so it is long and skinny not short and fat
13. Then bring the ends over and layer them on-top of eachother(fold into 3rds on top of eachother)
14. Turn the loaf upside down so the seams are down.-repeat for the other 2 sections
15. spray a sharp knife with cooking spray
16. Make your egg wash-just beat the whole egg until frothy
17. Cut 3 disgonal slits in the top of each loaf, cover with egg wash, being sure to get it into all of the slits
18. Place the loaves in a warm 170 degree oven and let rise for about 15 minutes
19. Turn the oven up to 375 for convection ovens and 400 for regular ovens. Leave the loaves in while the oven increases in temperature.
20.Bake for 10 minutes convection or 15 regular oven, or until the loaves are golden brown and crusty.
21. Turn the oven down to 325 for convection , 350 for regular and turn the pan around in the oven.
22. Bake for another 7 minutes convection or 10 regular- mine was actually done closer to 5-7 minutes.
23. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment